On Sunday, September 10 Salem Lutheran Church transitions to the fall schedule of two worship services (8:15am/10:45am). There will be a cross-generational service project for all ages to participate in during the Education Hour at 9:30am.
Salem collected items for Phoenix Community Development Services (Phoenix CDS) throughout August. Items collected are listed below.
Welcome to Your New Home Supply Kits
• One reusable shopping tote per kit, in which to put the following items.
• One roll of paper towels (in original packaging)
• 2 to 4 rolls of toilet paper (in original packaging)
• Dish soap
• All-purpose cleaner and/or glass cleaner
• Small box or roll of trash bags (kitchen size)
• Sponges or dishcloths
• Optional add-ins: disposable gloves, air freshener, small flashlight with batteries
• Add a “Welcome to Your New Home” note if you’d like!
Take Care: Basic Hygiene Kits
• One gallon-sized zip top plastic bag per kit, in which to put the following items. (Bag may not close, depending on the size of the items. All items must be new and unused and can be full-size or travel-size items.)
• Toothbrush and toothpaste
• Body wash or bar of soap (in original packaging)
• Shower pouf or washcloth
• Deodorant (male or female scent)
• Optional add-ins: Hair conditioner, lip balm, hairbrush, disposable razors, shaving cream
• Add a “Take Care” note if you’d like!
Service Project Assembly
On Rally Day, September 10 at 9:30am, join the cross+generational team to assemble the items collected into “kits” to assist Phoenix CDS in their work. Their primary goal is to end homelessness and provide the individuals, families and veterans they serve with a warm, safe place to live independently – and away from the dangers of the streets. Phoenix CDS works with them to set and achieve goals, make healthy life choices, find employment, build skills, and become stable, self-sufficient members of society.
Sunday School classes (ages 3 through high school) will kick-off the new school year by participating in the cross+generational service project and then parents and students will have time to go to the classrooms and meet teachers. There will be a shortened class time on Sunday, September 10.
Adult Faith Formation Classes during Education Hour Resume Sunday, Sept 17
Adult classes such as Man to Man and Women in the Word will officially begin on September 17 during Education Hour at 9:30am. Adults are encouraged to participate in the service project on September 10, working in partnership with our young people to do God’s work.